Which online Dutch class best suits your child depends on several factors. You know that the rewards of having your child take Dutch lessons are numerous. You are giving him a chance to learn a new language and culture, keeping the possibility of studying in the Netherlands open, integrating better in the Netherlands, and, of course, the enormous gift for the rest of his life of having grown up multilingual.
But, when looking for Dutch online lessons for your child, it can be difficult to find the right kind of lessons for him. These factors include what profile your child falls under. For example:
– the age
– whether Dutch is the first, second, or third language
– residence in the Netherlands or abroad
– degree of exposure to Dutch
– the purpose of the online Dutch lesson
– your child’s level
– your child’s learning style
Dutch for Children has described several profiles to facilitate the choice of online lessons. These are meant as guidelines. The ages are also based on averages. Note: We always look at the possibilities in a personal conversation. Then together, we decide what is best for your child.
The six profiles for Dutch online lessons will help you to choose which one suits your child best:
- The elementary school child (6-12 years old) who is re-entering a Dutch school after a few years
- Toddlers and preschoolers (3.5-6 years) who are already used to Dutch
- Secondary school students (12 years and older) who speak Dutch have followed some form of Dutch education during elementary school.
- NT2 preschoolers: Toddlers and preschoolers (3.5-6 years) who do not yet speak Dutch.
- NT2 young child: The elementary school child (6-12 years) who has not or has not had any Dutch education for some time.
- NT2 youngsters: Secondary school students (12 -18 years) who have not (for some time) followed Dutch education.
1. The elementary school child (6-12 years old) who re-enters a Dutch school after a few years
- Your child has just come from the Netherlands or is already following Dutch education abroad.
- His first language is Dutch.
- You speak Dutch at home.
- He is approximately between 6 and 12 years old.
- Your goal is to get your child into a Dutch school at a level appropriate for his age.
Then the Dutch language and cultural lessons of Dutch for Children are very suitable for your child.
We use the most common Dutch teaching methods such as Veilig Leren Lezen, Taal Actief, Staal, Nieuw Nederlands, Junior Einstein and NUMO.
The method of online lessons for elementary school children
The online elementary school lessons are customized. This means, for example, that the child:
- receives lessons based on his level, interests, and the living environment
- receives online Dutch language lessons following the elementary school lessons in the Netherlands, and thus passes through all groups of elementary school, but then online and adapted to specific goals
- is taught a group lower or higher based on his level, or that we start a group halfway through
Here you can read more about our primary education through the link.
2. Toddlers and preschoolers (ages 3.5-6) who are already accustomed to Dutch online class suits your child best?
- Is your 3.5-year-old toddler already accustomed to online school, or
- does he feel comfortable with your family or friends in Dutch?
- Do you speak Dutch at home and
- want him to become even more immersed in Dutch through the lessons?
Then the toddler online lessons may very well work for him. Online Dutch lessons for toddlers and preschoolers work better than you might think. This is because the lessons are short, inviting, and playful.
The method of Dutch online lessons for preschoolers and toddlers
Our teachers work with hand puppets, themes, Dutch songs, and lots of movement. With the youngest children, we work with parents! These parents are involved in a fun way in the Dutch online lessons for their children.
The teaching materials we use to support our lessons include:
– Themes from the Kinderuniversiteit
– I am Bas
– Puk & Co
– Word and Image
If you want to know more about this type of online lesson, check out our website on the page about toddlers and preschoolers.
3. Secondary school students (12 years and older) who speak Dutch and received some form of Dutch education during their elementary school years.
- Your child speaks and writes in Dutch
- Has followed Dutch education
- His first language is Dutch
- You mainly speak Dutch at home
- He is 12 years or older
- Your goal with the lessons is to enter a Dutch secondary school at a level appropriate to his age.
- Your goal with the lessons is a study in the Netherlands
The method of online lessons for secondary school children
Dutch online secondary education is customized based on your child’s goals. Together we look at what your child needs. We look at how he can best follow Dutch online secondary school. What are his goals? What does he want to learn?
The Dutch language methods we use are:
- Nieuw Nederlands
- Op Niveau
- Lowland Literature and Reader
We also work with online resources and teaching materials, such as Nieuwsbegrip, CambiumNed, and NUMO.
Read more about online secondary education
Through this link, you can reread everything at your leisure.
4. NT2 toddler: preschoolers (3.5-6 years) who do not yet speak Dutch
- does your toddler not speak Dutch
- do you speak another language at home (or a little Dutch)
- Would you like him to start learning Dutch?
- Because you are going back to the Netherlands, or
- Because you want to welcome Dutch back into your family, or
- Because you want to use more Dutch yourself?
Then the NT2 toddler online lessons may very well work for you.
The method of online Dutch as a second language lessons for toddlers and preschoolers
Our teachers work with hand puppets, themes, Dutch songs, and lots of movement. With the youngest children, we work with the parents! These parents are involved in a fun way in the Dutch online lessons for their children. Of course, some knowledge of Dutch is then required.
The preschool NT2 online program includes the following themes:
- The body
- The clothing
- Subjects of interest (transportation, robots, princesses, etc.)
- The home
- The shelter, preschool or school
We use the methods used in Dutch preschool classes as well as methods for NT2 children. Such as:
- Themes from Kleuteruniversiteit
- I am Bas
- Puk & Co
- Word and image
- Seeing is understanding
Read more about NT2 for preschoolers
You can read more about learning Dutch as a second language as a toddler or preschooler via this link.
5. NT2 young child: The elementary school child (6-12 years) who has had no or no recent Dutch education
- Your child no longer speaks Dutch as a first language
- The main language at school and socially is another language
- You speak little or no Dutch at home
- He is approximately between 6 and 12 years old
Your goal with the lessons is that he starts using Dutch again for various purposes such as: communication with family in the Netherlands, being able to attend a Dutch primary or secondary school, preserving his Dutch roots, etc.
It can be quite difficult to keep up with the Dutch language while abroad. Especially if the official language at school, socially, and in the family, is not Dutch. Our online NT2 lessons fit in well with this.
The method of online Dutch as a second language lessons
The NT2 online lessons are customized. This means, for example, that your child receives lessons based on his or her level, interests, and living environment. Different methods and sources are alternated, depending on the goals the teachers have set together with you as parents.
We use the methods used in Dutch elementary school classrooms and methods for NT2 children.
- Language Active – Taal Actie
- Hotel Hello
- More Hotel Hallo
- Z-language NT2
- Word and Image
- Junior Einstein
Read more about NT2
Click on this link to read more about Dutch as a second language.
6. NT2 youth: Secondary school students (12 -18 years old) who have not had Dutch education (for some time)
- does your teenager not speak Dutch anymore or very little
- do you speak another language at home (or a little Dutch)
- he / you would like to learn Dutch to live, work or study in the Netherlands
- he / you would like him to learn Dutch to be able to talk more with Dutch family members
- does he/would you like him to learn Dutch not to lose his connection to the Netherlands and Dutch?
- is he motivated to learn Dutch?
Then NT2 online lessons for young people over 12 at Dutch for Children are a good option.
The method of online Dutch as a second language lessons for young people
We work in a customized way for young people learning Dutch as a second language. Teacher and student look together at the youngster’s goals and how they can best achieve them. We often use multiple methods and resources. Lessons are interspersed with online videos, quizzes, viewing, listening, writing, and extra speaking exercises where necessary.
We use a variety of methods, including:
- Language Active
- Square 16 – Plein 16
Read more about NT2 for young people
Click the link to read more about Dutch as a second language for young people.
Which Dutch online class suits your child best?
Feel free to make an appointment with me, Wendy van Dalen. I am the director at Dutch for Children, and after eight years of experience as a teacher and director, I can help you to make the right choice. Together we will look at the possibilities. If you want to know who you’re talking to first, look at the article in Nu.nl for which I was interviewed.
I would love to hear from you through the mail, and then we can make an appointment free of charge and without obligation.